My beloved and I generally go for longer rides at the week-end, calling for a more substantial pre-ride breakfast. I haven’t made him pancakes for a while but I recently found a recipe for Turmeric Pancakes. Yes, I know that doesn’t sound terribly inviting but they were surprisingly fluffy and delicious. They also ensured I had my daily dose of turmeric.
Ingredients (makes 4-6 pancakes)
- 150g oat flour (just grind oats in food processor)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple puree
- 100ml non-dairy unsweetened milk (I used almond)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat heavy bottomed non-stick pan or grill.
2. Combine everything in a food processor. It should take no longer than 30 secs and the texture should be similar to softly dropping cake batter.
3. Portion batter into equally sized portions (4 or 6) using an ice cream scoop, or something similar, and plop onto cooking surface. They should take 2-3 minutes to cook on each side, just flip with a fish slice.
4. Serve with whatever takes your fancy: non-dairy yoghurt, maple syrup, fresh fruit or, in my beloved’s case, crispy smoked bacon and maple syrup!