This is a quick and easy recipe which uses (vegan) pre-prepared filo pastry sheets, plenty of greens and some vegan cheese. Of course, you can also easily make a non-vegan version.
1.Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5 (375°F/350°F fan).
2. In a medium-sized frying pan on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent (approx. 10 minutes).
3. Add the kale and cook until wilted, add salt and pepper and defrosted spinach (eliminate as much liquid as possible) and allow to cool.
4. Mix the salad onions with the ricotta, feta, nutritional yeast, nutmeg and lemon juice. Add to spinach mixture and thoroughly combine.
5. Using a non-stick circular or rectagular baking pan (depending on the size and shape of your sheets of pastry, layer at least six sheets of filo, brush each with a little olive oil. Place a damp cloth over the remaining sheets of filo dough so they don’t dry out.
6. Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the filo dough in the pan and level. Fold up the hanging edges of the filo sheets, then brush with a little olive oil. Cover with the remaining four sheets, tucking them well into the sides of the pan. brush a little olive oil over the top sheet.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving with some salad and my tomato and chilli jam.
8. This will sit happily in the fridge for a couple of days but it rarely hangs around that long.