Cookies are always a crowd-pleaser but how do you take them to the next level? Read on…….Cookies come in an infinite array of flavours and textures and are sure to put a smile on any guests’ faces. Chocolate chip cookies are a classic drop cookie (cookies dropped onto the pan from a spoon or scoop and then baked). These golden, rich, buttery cookies have the sweet contrast of dark bitter chocolate chips. Everyone should know how to make them. I’ve ramped up the original recipe here by browning the butter to give it an added level of rich, nutty flavour.
1.Line two baking sheets with greaseproof (parchment) paper or silicone baking mats.
2. Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-size bowl.
3. Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. (Note: Using a light-coloured pan will help you to more easily see the colour of the butter as it browns.) The butter will begin to foam. Stir the butter consistently and cook until it is a dark amber color (darker browned butter is better for baked goods), about 6 minutes. Transfer the butter immediately to a separate bowl to prevent burning. Let it cool for 15 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine all the sugars, eggs, vanilla and browned butter. Add the flour mixture in two parts and mix until just combined. Do not overmix your dough. Fold the chocolate chips in gently.
5. Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop, large cookie scoop or large spoon and drop onto the prepared baking sheet 5 cm (2″) apart. Press down on the cookies lightly to flatten them a little bit.
6. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour on the cookie sheets. (Chilling the cookie dough before baking helps the cookies retain their shape when baked—no more flat cookies.)
7. You can also freeze the dough at this point and pull it out whenever you want cookies! Allow it to thaw on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes before baking.
8. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan160°C)/350°F/gas mark.
9. Remove the baking sheets from the refrigerator and sprinkle the cookies lightly with fleur de sel (optional). Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until just cooked through. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool, before diving in!