It’s a city because it has a cathedral which replaced a pre-Romanesque church. The present cathedral is Gothic in style, begun in 13th century and completed in 17th century.
As the city grew, the first fortress wall was erected in 11th century, which in 1303, was replaced by another one, two meters thick and 16 meters high. The remains of this wall, as well as three towers that have survived to the present day can still be seen in different places, for example, in the Val Calent zone, where windows pierce the wall, and the upper edge of the wall turned into terraces.
The Bridge gate, completed in 1805, turned into the main entrance to the city after a twelve-arch stone bridge was built in 18th century. Castle Gate got its name because Solsona’s first castle was located right next to it – today it’s a monastery. Until 18th century, these gates were the main entrances to the old city.
The Episcopal Palace and the Museum of the Diocese Solsona was built by Bishop Lasala in 18th century. Its main facade, along with the facade of the Barcelona Palace are the city’s most outstanding examples of neo-classical Catalan architecture. The Museum of the Diocese was the first of its kind in Catalonia.
The clock tower dates back to 1500. Initially, it had two bells: one to ring the fire alarm, and the second for the time (for which it continues to be used today).
In Sant Joan square there’s a beautiful fountain, decorated with the words of a poem written by Joseph M. de Sagarra. The square is surrounded by houses, of which Cabales House stands out in particular, being the home of one of the most distinguished families of Solsona, many generations of which have lived there for centuries.
The main entrance to Solsona’s City Hall is located along Castel Street, where the street is slightly wider. The building was built in 16th century, in the Gothic style, but with Renaissance elements. The city emblem of the city and that of the merchant who built it are on the facade.
A merchant’s daughter, Francesca de Llobera left sufficient funds in her will in 1411 to build a hospital for the poor, now known as the Llobera Palace which is now occupied by the Council of the Comarcal del Solsonès and the Tourist Office.
Until a few years ago, Solsona used to be the main road between Barcelona and Andorra, but no longer.